Marriage is fairy tales and Love songs. But marriage is also Work, with a capital “W”. It can be fun and trying. It is like making a homemade salad dressing (with oil and vinegar) . It combines ingredients that are so opposite, but are “Oh, So Good” together!~Julie Coggins
I have to admit, I have been listening to two phenomenal sermons on Marriage. They are:
“When The Sizzle Fizzles” by Rev. Richard Myers(http://newlifeoutreach.org/resources/multimedia.html)
“Lovers” by Shawn Lovejoy (http://vimeo.com/9305180)
Both of these series are incredible for rejuvenating a marriage that might be lacking.
Rules for being in the best Marriage ever:
1. Realize you chose this person. See what you saw and what you might have forgotten you originally saw in this person. Realize their importance to you, now. Express your appreciation for them. If you don’t, someone else might be.
Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.Rom. 12:9-10
2. Put your best forward. Don’t neglect yourself. If you are getting “prettied” or “handsomed” up, when you are going somewhere else, but NOT to please your spouse, you are not giving 100% to the health of your marriage.
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.1 Cor.10:31
3. Never stop having sex. The Bible only gives prayer as a “pass”.
Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.1 Cor. 7:5
Drink water from your own well—share your love only with your wife.Proverbs 5:15
4. Let everyone know your spouse “rocks your world!”
5. Make your spouse your closest friend. Don’t allow any other, especially of the opposite sex, to become close confidantes!
Husbands, also live with your wife the way you know is right. Respect her because she is a woman. She is not as strong as a man. Also respect her because God has given her, as well as you, the blessing of life. In this way, you will not stop God from doing what you ask him to do.1Pet.3:7
6. Hope and Believe that each new day brings a better marriage.
I completely expect and hope that I won’t be ashamed in any way. I’m sure I will be brave enough. Now as always Christ will be lifted high through my body. He will be lifted up whether I live or die.Phil1:20
7. Give! Live to give to your spouse! Notes, baked goods, unexpected “hugs” or “kisses”, calls, texts, email, favorite candy bar. Give what you can! There are too many scriptures on giving, and they always promise reciprocation!!
8. CHARACTER. Are you the greatest around others, and horrible to your mate? If so, this area needs your attention! Usually we hurt the ones we love the most, because we know they will put up with us. Yikes! You could be the culprit for your marriage woes! Work on giving your best to your mate and maintaining that character, in front of and away from your spouse! Gal.5:22-23
9. Be affectionate in front of children. The best marriages are praised by the children of those marriages. Live to know your kids can see a role model for a wonderful and Godly marriage!! Prov.31:28,
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.Prov. 22:6
10. Always consult the Marriage Designer, God. He is the best Consultant and He can save, heal, restore, and resurrect anything He has made!! This also means surround yourself with strong Christians and be involved in a local church!
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?”Jn11:25-26
And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.Heb.10:24-25
If you get a chance, listen to the series I mentioned above. Marriage is a huge part of our testimony. Be careful how you treat your’s. If you are single, seek God and let Him make you all you can be for your future spouse! Now go and live “Happily Ever After!”